2006: PhD, Food Science, University of Dijon, France
2000: Master, Food Science, University of Dijon, France
1999: Engineer, Food Technology, Hanoi University of Science and Technology (formerly Hanoi University of Technology), Vietnam
- 2018-present: Dean of School of Biotechnology and Food Technology, Hanoi University of Science and Technology, Vietnam.
- 2008-2018: Vice Dean (Research and International Cooperation), School of Biotechnology and Food Technology, Hanoi University of Science and Technology, Vietnam.
- 2010-2013: Head of Department of Food Technology, School of Biotechnology and Food Technology, Hanoi University of Science and Technology, Vietnam
- 2000-2010: Lecturer, Department of Fermentation Technology, School of Biotechnology and Food Technology, Hanoi University of Science and Technology, Vietnam.
- 2005-2006: Fellow, Research Center for Environment, Energy and Waste (CReeD) – Veolia, France.
- BF2511: Introduction to Food Technology
- BF5240: Wine Technology
- BF5450: Tobacco and Cigarette Technology
- BF7220: Advances in Food Technology (for PhD courses)
Developing energy-saving processes for ethanol production from cassava and rice and valorization of ethanol plants’ by-products
Exploring the vegetal and microbial diversity for food quality and safety
- 2020-2022: Development of integrated energy-saving and very high gravity technology for ethanol production. Ministry of Science and Technology
2014-2016: Valorization of ethanol plants’ by-products for the production of animal feeding (Collaborative project between Vietnam and Romania), Ministry of Science and Technology
2013-2015: Simultaneous liquefaction, saccharification and fermentation (SLSF) for ethanol production from rice, Ministry of Education and Training
2013-2014: Exploring vegetal and microbial diversity and technological innovation to improve food quality and safety, Scientific Interuniversity Pre-project (PCSI), (Coordinator), Agency for French Speaking Universities (AUF)
2015-2018: Network of Universities and Enterprises for Food Training in Southeast Asia (NutriSEA), European Commission’s Erasmus + programme
2015-2018: Universities as key partners for the new challenges regarding food safety & quality in ASEAN (AsiFood), European Commission’s Erasmus + programme
2016-2017: Beverage ethanol production at very high gravity from rice and cassava at the scale of 2,000 l/batch, Ministry of Industry and Trade
2014-2015: Biodiversity and anti-cancer, antimicrobial activity of endophytic actinomycetes associated with medicinal plants, Ministry of Education and Training
2012-2014: Gains from losses of root and tuber crops - GRATITUDE, (www.fp7-gratitude.eu), EU- FP7
2012-2014: Food safety for Europe - FOODSEG (www.foodseg.net), EU- FP7
Book and book chapter
- Tien-Thanh Nguyen, Phu-Ha Ho, Viet-Phu Tu, Le-Ha Quan and Son Chu-Ky. Chapter 12.1. Application and Perspectives in Different World Regions. Part 12. MARKET TRENDS, PROSPECTIVES, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, AND R&D PERSPECTIVES. Gases in Agro-food Processes. pp: 31-35, ISBN: 9780128124659
Muenduen Phisalaphong, Tien-Khai Tran, Siriporn Taokaew, Rusdianto Budiraharjo, Gabriella Gita Febriana, Danh-Nguyen Nguyen, Son Chu-Ky, Fernando Dourado. 2016. Nata de coco Industry in Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia. In: Bacterial Nanocellulose: from Biotechnology to Bio-economy, edited by Gama, Dourado and Bielecki. Elsevier, ISBN 9780444634580, pp. 231-236
Anil Kumar Anal, Son Chu-Ky and Samira Sarter. 2015. Health Benefits of Neutraceuticals from Novel Fermented Foods. In: Health Benefits of Fermented Foods and Beverages, edited by Iyoti Prakash Tamang, CRC Press | Taylor & Francis Group, ISBN 9781466588097, pp. 567-590
- Hélène Licandro, Phu Ha Ho, Thi Kim Chi Nguyen, Awanwee Petchkongkaew, Hai Van Nguyen, Son Chu-Ky, Thi Viet Anh Nguyen, Da Lorn, Yves Waché. 2020. How fermentation by lactic acid bacteria can address safety issues in legumes food products? Food Control 110:106957. ISSN: 0956-7135, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2019.106957
- Anil Kumar Anal, Giorgia Perpetuini, Awanwee Petchkongkaew, Reasmey Tan, Sylvie Avallone, Rosanna Tofalo, Hai Van Nguyen, Son Chu-Ky, Phu Ha Ho, Thanh Tam Phan, Yves Waché. 2020. Food safety risks in traditional fermented food from South-East Asia. Food Control 109:106922. ISSN: 0956-7135, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2019.106922
- Thi Hanh Nguyen Vu, Quang Huy Nguyen, Thi My Linh Dinh, Ngoc Tung Quach, Thi Nhan Khieu, Ha Hoang, Chu-Ky Son, Thu Trang Vu, Hoang Ha Chu, Jusung Lee, Heonjoong Kang, Wen-Jun Li, Quyet-Tien Phi. 2019. Endophytic actinomycetes associated with Cinnamomum cassia Presl in Hoa Binh province, Vietnam: Distribution, antimicrobial activity and, genetic features. J Gen Appl Microbiol. (08/2019) ISSN: 0022-1260, https://doi.org/10.2323/jgam.2019.04.004 (IF: 1.172)
- Nguyen H.V., Nguyen Q.H., Vu T.H.N., Chu-Ky S., Vu T.T., Hoang H., Quach N.T., Bui T.L., Chu H.H., Khieu T.N., Sarter S., Li W.-J., Phi Q.-T. 2019. Characterization of endophytic Streptomyces griseorubens MPT42 and assessment of antimicrobial synergistic interactions of its extract and essential oil from host plant Litsea cubeba. Antibiotics 8(4). pii: E197 ISSN: 2079-6382, doi: 10.3390/antibiotics8040197
- Ionelia Taranu, Tien-Thanh Nguyen, Kim-Dang Pham, Mihail A. Gras, Gina C. Pistol, Daniela E. Marin, Catalin Rotar, Mihaela Habeanu, Phu-Ha Ho, Thanh-Mai Le, Thi Thu-Hang Bui, Dinh-Vuong Mai, and Son Chu-Ky. 2019. Rice and cassava distillers dried grains in Vietnam: nutritional values and effects of their dietary inclusion on blood chemical parameters and immune responses of growing pigs. Waste and Biomass Valorization 10:3373–3382 ISSN: 1877-2641, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12649-018-0341-7
- Thi Hanh Nguyen Vu, Quang Huy Nguyen, Thi Thu Hang Le, Son Chu-Ky, Quyet Tien Phi. 2019. Optimal fermentation conditions for antibiotic production by endophytic Streptomyces cavourensis YBQ59 isolated from Cinnamomum cassia Presl. Vietnam Journal of Science and Technology 57(3B): 144 – 152. ISSN: 0866-708x
- Đặng Tiến Thành, Dương Thị Dự, Chu Kỳ Sơn, Vũ Thu Trang. 2019. Effect of Factors on the Hydrolysis of Red Rice (Oryza Punctate) by Spezyme Alpha. Journal of Science &Technology Technical Universities 137: 106 – 110. ISSN: 2354-1083
- Yves Waché, Thuy-Le Do,Thi-Bao-Hoa Do, Thi-Yen Do, Maxime Haure, Phu-Ha Ho, Anil Kumar Anal, Van-Viet-Man Le, Wen-Jun Li, Hélène Licandro, Da Lorn, Mai-Huong Ly-Chatain, Sokny Ly, Warapa Mahakarnchanakul, Dinh-Vuong Mai, Hasika Mith, Dzung-Hoang Nguyen, Thi-Kim-Chi Nguyen, Thi-Minh-Tu Nguyen, Thi-Thanh-Thuy Nguyen, Viet-Anh Nguyen, Hai-Vu Pham, Tuan-Anh Pham, Thanh-Tam Phan, Reasmey Tan, Tien-Nam Tien, Thierry Tran, Sophal Try, Quyet-Tien Phi, Dominique Valentin, Van-Quoc-Bao Vo, Kitiya Vongkamjan, Duc-Chien Vu, Nguyen-Thanh Vu, Son Chu-Ky. 2018. Prospects for food fermentation in South-East Asia, topics from the Tropical Fermentation and Biotechnology Network at the end of the AsiFood Erasmus+ project. Frontiers in Microbiology, 9:2278.,doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.02278
- Huy Quang Nguyen, Nguyen Thi-Hanh Vu, Ha Hoang Chu, Son Chu-Ky, Ha Hoang, Thanh Trung Tran, Cuong Nguyen, Linh Thi-My Dinh, Hien Thi-Thu Trinh, Tien Quyet Phi. 2018. Draft genome sequence of Streptomyces cavourensis YBQ59, an endophytic producer of Antibiotics Bafilomycin D, Nonactic Acid, Prelactone B, and 5,11-Epoxy-10-Cadinanol, Microbiology Resource Announcements, 7 (11) e01056-18; DOI: 10.1128/MRA.01056-18
- Hanh-Nguyen Thi Vu, Dat Tien Nguyen, Huy Quang Nguyen, Ha Hoang Chu, Son Chu-Ky, Minh Van Chau, Quyet-Tien Phi. 2018. Antimicrobial and cytotoxic properties of bioactive metabolites produced by Streptomyces cavourensis YBQ59 isolated from Cinnamomum cassia Prels in Yen Bai province of Vietnam. Current Microbiology 75 (10), 1247–1255
- Zhuo-Li Zhao, Hong Ming, Wei-Li Ji, Thi-Nhan Khieu, Son Chu-Ky, Li-Jiao Cheng, Xiao-Lin Meng, Wen-Jun Li, Guo-Xing Nie. 2018. Paenibacillus esterisolvens sp. nov., isolated from soil. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 68 (7):2145-2150
- Nguyen Hai Van, Meile Jean-Christophe, Lebrun Marc, Caruso Doménico, Son Chu-Ky, Sarter Samira. 2018. Litsea cubeba leaf essential oil from Vietnam: chemical diversity and its impacts on antibacterial activity. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 66, 207-214
- Nguyen Chinh Nghia, Nguyen Thi Thao, Pham Ngoc Hung, Nguyen Thi Ha, Nguyen Tien Thanh, Tran Thi Lan, Tran Hau Cuong, Quan Le Ha, Le Thanh Mai and Chu Ky Son. 2017. High solid fermentation at pilot scale for potable ethanol production from rice. Vietnam Journal of Science and Technology, 55 (5A), 178-185.
- Pham Ngoc Lam, Dang Thi Thuy Duong, Vu Thi Hanh Nguyen, Chu Ky Son, Vu Thu Trang, Phi Quyet Tien. 2017. Distribution and antimicrobial activity of endophytic actinomycetes isolated from Litsea cubeba (Lour.) Pers. in northern provinces of Vietnam. Vietnam Journal of Science and Technology, 55 (5A), 160-168.
- Hai Van Nguyen, Thu Trang Vu, Son Chu-Ky, Samira Sarter. 2017. Interaction effects of Litsea cubeba essential oil and antibiotics on antibacterial activity against pathogenic bacteria in aquaculture. Vietnam Journal of Science and Technology, 55 (5A), 66-73.
- Nimaichand Salam, Thi-Nhan Khieu, Min-Jiao Liu, Thu-Trang Vu, Son Chu-Ky, Ngoc-Tung Quach, Quyet-Tien Phi, Manikprabhu Narsing Ra, Angelique Fontana, Samira Sarter and Wen-Jun Li. 2017. Endophytic actinobacteria associated with Dracaena cochinchinensis Lour.: Isolation, diversity and their cytotoxic activities. BioMed Research International. Volume 2017, Article ID 1308563, 11 pages, (https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1308563)
- Nguyen Hai Van, Vu Thi Hanh Nguyen, Vu Thu Trang, Phi Quyet Tien, Khieu Thi Nhan, Samira Sarter and Chu Ky Son. 2016 Antibacterial activities and interaction effects of Vietnamese Lisea cubeba (Lour.) essential oils and its endophytic actinobacteria. Journal of Science and Technology. 54 (4A) 234-241
- Chu-Ky Son, Pham Phu Lam, Nguyen Tien Thanh, Tran Thi Lan, Tran Hau Cuong and Le Thanh Mai. 2016. Impacts of liquefaction time and enzymes on ethanol yield of very high gravity process for beverage ethanol production. Journal of Science and Technology. 54 (4A) 242-249
- Hai Van Nguyen, Domenico Caruso, Marc Lebrun, Ngoc Tuan Nguyen, Thi Trang Trinh, Jean-Christophe Meile, Son Chu-Ky, Samira Sarter. 2016. Antibacterial activity of Litsea cubeba (Lauraceae, May Chang) and its effects on the biological response of common carp Cyprinus carpio challenged with Aeromonas hydrophila. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 121, 341-351
- Son Chu-Ky, Thi-Hoan Pham, Kim-Lien T. Bui, Tien-Thanh Nguyen, Kim-Dang Pham, Hoai-Duc T. Nguyen, Hong-Nga Luong, Viet-Phu Tu, Thanh-Hang Nguyen, Phu-Ha Ho and Thanh-Mai Le. 2016. Simultaneous liquefaction, saccharification and fermentation at very high gravity of rice at pilot scale for potable ethanol production and distillers dried grains composition. Food and Bioproducts Processing, 98, 79-85
- Tu Viet Phu, Pham Kim Dang, Nguyen Cong Oanh, Chu Ky Son. 2016. Potential use of by-products from ethanol production process as ingredients for the production of animal feed in Vietnam, Journal of Science and Development, 1, 36-45.
- Tu Viet Phu, Nguyen Thi Thao, Chu Ky Son, Luong Hong Nga, Nguyen Thi Hoai Duc, Bennett Ben, Naziri Diego, Tomlins Keith, To Kim Anh, 2016. Potential use of by-products for animal feed from cassava in Vietnam. Journal of Science and Development, 1, 93-100.
- Yves Waché, Phu Ha Ho, Hanh Phan-Thi, Hélène Simonin, Thi Thuy Le Do, Sophal Try, Da Lorn, Thanh-Mai Le, Viet-Phu Tu, Le-Ha Quan, Thi-Minh-Tu Nguyen, Anil Kumar Anal, Quyet-Tien Phi, Son Chu-Ky. 2015. Explorer la biodiversité pour trouver de nouvelles souches microbiennes pour les innovations de produits alimentaires. La revue des industries alimentaires et agricoles. Novembre-Decembre 2015 p. 27-29 (www.revue-iaa.fr/revues/a-709/)
- Do Thi Kim Oanh, Pham Thanh Hai, Chu Ky Son and Le Thanh Mai. 2015. Investigation of the antimicrobial ability of Na2SiF6 in rice-based alcohol production process using simultaneous liquefaction saccharification and fermentation. Journal of Science and Technology, 53(4A) 153-159
- Quach Ngoc Tung, Khieu Thi Nhan, Chu-Ky Son, Vu Thi Hanh Nguyen, Vu Thu Trang, Phi Quyet Tien. 2014. Assessment and screening of antimicrobial activities of endophytic actinomycetes associated with Cinnamomum loureiri. Journal of Biotechnology. 12(2), 365-371
- Trang, Vu Thu, Son Chu-Ky, Khang Ha Thi. 2014. Investigating some technological factors influencing corn hydrolysis by using Spezyme Alpha. Journal of Science and Technology, 52(5C), 292-297
- Tung Quach Ngoc, Nhan Khieu Thi, Son Chu-Ky, Huyen Pham Thanh, Nguyen Vu Thi Hanh, Phong Trương Quoc, Thanh Nguyen Tien, Trang Vu Thu, Tien Phi Quyet. 2014. Biodiversity of actinomycetes associated with Cinnamomum tree in Hoa Binh province. Journal of Science and Technology, 52(5B), 577-582
- Luong Hong Nga, Phan Thanh Huyen, Nguyen Thi Hoai Duc, Chu Ky Son, Keith Tomlins, To Kim Anh. 2014. Effect of high quality cassava flour of different origin on Vietnam traditional baguette quality. Journal of Science and Technology, 52(5B), 410-416
- Zhao Jiang, Dao-Feng Zhang, Thi-Nhan Khieu, Son Chu-Ky, Xiao-Mei Zhang, Juan Cheng, Xin-Peng Tian, Si Zhang, and Wen-Jun Li. 2014. Bacillus tianshenii sp. nov., isolated from a marine sediment sample collected from South China Sea. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 64, 1998-2002
- Chinh-Nghia Nguyen, Thanh-Mai Le and Son Chu-Ky. 2014. Pilot scale simultaneous saccharification and fermentation at very high gravity of cassava flour for ethanol production. Industrial Crops and Products, 56, 160-165
- Viet Phu Tu, Aurélie Bechoff, Nga Luong Hong, Tu Nguyen Thi Minh, Quynh Cung Thi To, Son Chu-Ky, Keith Tomlins, Lateef Sanni, and Kim Anh To. 2016. Vietnamese consumer acceptance of bread containing high quality cassava flour. First World Congress on Root and Tuber Crops (WCRTC), January 18-22, 2016, Nanning, China (oral presentation)
- Luong Hong Nga, Chu-Ky Son, Nguyen Thi Hoai Duc, Tu Viet Phu, Lateef Sanni, Keith Tomlins and To Kim Anh. 2015. Effect of High Quality Cassava Flour on cookies quality. The 8th International Conference on Starch Technology (Starch Update), December 3-4, 2015, Bangkok, Thailand, p. 42-46 (oral presentation)
- Le Thanh Mai, Vu Thi Phuong, Bui Thi Thu Hang, Mai Dinh Vuong, Pham Ngoc Hung and Chu-Ky Son. 2015. Influence of some factors on the simultaneous liquefaction, saccharification and fermentation and valorization of ethanol by-products for animal feeding. The 8th International Conference on Starch Technology (Starch Update), December 3-4, 2015, Bangkok, Thailand, p. 132-138 (poster)
- Nguyen Duc Trung, Nguyen Ngoc Hoang, Nguyen Minh He, Trieu Đinh Tue, Luu Hoang Hai, Pham Van Dung, Vu Huy Khue, Nguyen Viet Dung, Chu Ky Son. 2015. Application of microwave drying technology for animal feed processing from by-products of beer and alcohol factories. Proceeding of the Quality Management and Food Safety conference (QMFS2015) p. 185-192
- Chu-Ky Son, 2015. Research and development for high value-added products from cassava. 2015 International Conference on Sustainable Development for Cassava in Vietnam, January 15, 2015, Tay Ninh, Vietnam
- Nguyen Hai Van, Jean-Chirstophe Meile, Marc Lebrun, Chu-Ky Son, Samira Sarter. 2014. Essential oil of Litsea cubeba: exploring antibacterial activity and mode of action. The 2nd EBSEA2014 workshop, October 1, 2014, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Yves Waché, Ho Phu Ha, Chu-Ky Son, Florence Husson, Rémy Cachon, Vu Nguyen Thanh, Do Thuy Le, Nguyen Thi Hoai Tram, Samira Sarter, Tran Lan, Paul Heng, Chan Lai Wah, Ly-Chatain Mai Huong, Thavarith Chunhieng, Sophal Try, Anil Kumar Anal, Joëlle de Coninck, Phan Thi Hanh. 2014. Building a virtual collection of strains of biotechnological interest in South-East Asia. The 2nd EBSEA2014 workshop, October 1, 2014, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Chu Ky Son, Luong Hong Nga, Tu Viet Phu, Ho Phu Ha, Le Thanh Mai and To Kim Anh. 2014. Innovative approaches for high value-added products from cassava. The 3rd Starch World 2014, February 17-19, 2014, Jakarta, Indonesia (oral presentation)
- Vietnam Nutrition Association (VINUTAS) (http://hoidinhduong.vn)
- Vietnam Association of Food Science and Technology (http://vafost.org.vn)
- International Conference “Animal Feeding in South East Asia: Challenges and Prospects” (AFSEA2015) http://sbft.hust.edu.vn/afsea
International Workshops “Exploring Biodiversity for Sustainable Development in South East Asia” (EBSEA2013, EBSEA2014)
International Alcohol Workshop (INAW2012)